A part-time position has become available for a detailed Payroll Administrator to join a marine transportation business based in Burnaby. This organization has cultivated an environment that supports their employees’ professional aspirations and opens up opportunities for growth, and they are dedicated to ensuring their staff feel valued and that they enjoy their work.
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Payroll Administrator is responsible for ensuring the compliant processing of all union and non-union payrolls, which will include a variety of record keeping, payroll processing, reporting, accounting and reconciliation duties.
Training for this role will take place on-site for the first 3 months of employment before the successful incumbent has the option to work 100% remote (with occasional availability to travel to the office if needed). This role will work 80 hours per month, working 30 hours in the first and last week of the month, and 10 hours in both the second and third weeks. These hours may increase during busier periods. All working hours will take place between 8AM to 4.30PM.
A valid Driver’s License and a car will be needed to access the office.
- Process payroll for salaried, hourly and seagoing staff, ensure compliance with federal requirements
- Enter and review timecard information in timekeeping system, identify and resolve any discrepancies
- Prepare payroll related taxes, benefit remittances and other withholdings
- Reconcile payroll related general ledger accounts, resolve any issues that arise
- Act as point of contact for payroll related inquiries
- Produce various reports and maintain all payroll related documentation
- Assist with implementing projects and processes to improve payroll related systems
- Other duties as needed
- Minimum 3 years of experience in payroll administration for unionized and federally regulated employees
- Experience with complex payrolls and payroll compliance is an asset
- National Payroll Institute designation is preferred
- Strong knowledge of MS Office Suite (Excel, Word & Outlook)
- Working knowledge of Paymate/Clarity software is a benefit
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Valid Driver’s License